Prevention is Key
Both natural teeth and teeth with restorations last longer in an oral environment that is clean and where the intake of harmful food and drink is reduced. We educate our patients to help prevent new cavities, preserve teeth that have been restored and manage periodontal disease. Oral hygiene instructions are reviewed and are reinforced at every cleaning. The following are helpful recommendations:
- Brush your teeth twice a day in a circular motion with a soft bristled toothbrush aimed at the gum.
- Floss every night in an up and down motion while keeping the floss in a U-shape and against the tooth surface.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid sticky sugary foods.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Use antiseptic and fluoride rinses as directed.
- Place sealants on young, permanent teeth.